Saturday, February 17, 2007

I THINK he liked it............I KNOW he liked it!!!

So Valentine's Day in Canada was never too exciting for me; gifts from my boyfriend (of four years) consisted of 50% off stuffed teddy's that were purchased the day after Valentine's Day, because that special someone always forgot. But that is neither her nor there, so I figured this year I was gonna to do something kick-ass for Sung Hyun. I started planning and here is what I ended up with.....................

...................First off, I love surprising people. The anticipation and the excitement I get from their reaction is like a drug for me. Anyways, here in Korea (if you read my last post) Valentine's Day is heavily instigated by the woman. So I played off Valentine's Day like it was no big deal. I didn't text or call him all day. After work I mentioned that we should head to the local Korean fast food joint for dinner. He agreed and said that he would call me when he was done hanging out with his mom.

Meanwhile I was frantically cooking some chicken noodle concoction wondering how I was gonna pull this thing off. I wanted to have dinner ready for him when he came to pick me up.






When he called me to come downstairs, I made up some excuse that I just got out of the shower and he should come up first. It was perfect timing...............
When he first came in my place was totally dark and there was a line of candles that lead into the bedroom. The was the sign that I made for him (and of course some knock-off couples shirts I bought on the street.....hehe)




He was totally shocked...............he started jumping up and down like a little kid who just got $100 for Christmas. First thing he does is spend like 5 minutes taking pictures of everything I had set up (meanwhile my perfectly timed meal was getting cold).




We enjoyed some nice white wine and our supper (kimchi included). Sung Hyun only had one glass -- that's all he needs to get a good buzz. The dinner was a total surprise. Did he seriously think I was going to take him to the local Kimbob for dinner?




I just bought the dessert because I don't really like baking (plus I don't have an oven). But I did go to the point where I melted some chocolate to drizzle on the top of the cheesecake and around the plate.


SARAH, this duce is for you.......................how did I do?
And here we are just goofing around with our camera on auto mode
The second part of my surprise consisted of singing a Korean love song that he listens to everyday. I decided that I should learn the lyrics and sing it for him. But when my Korean tutor told me it was a sad song about a couple who departs and doesn't meet again, I thought it wasn't to appropriate. So instead of picking a new song, we made our own lyrics and sang it to the melody. I was so nervous to sing it to him...................I think he liked it.
During dinner he asked me where his chocolate was. He kept saying that it's tradition for men to receive chocolate on V-Day. I played dumb and pretended that I didn't know about this. But really I had a kick-ass chocolate surprise for him.
It started with a list of 100 reasons why I love him...................

Then I wrote the message on 100 tiny peices of paper (both in English and Korean)


Then I bought some Hersey's Kisses and unwrapped each one and stuffed my little love message into each one of them

I don't even wanna tell you how long this took............





When I gave him this and told him what it was he couldn't believe all the work I went to for this day. He said he didn't wanna eat the chocolate. I think I pulled off a pretty good Valentine's Day and it was just as good for me as it was for him. He was definately gloating!!!!!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Beloved said...

Oh. my. god.

I'm speechless. You are so creative and . . .mischievious! Thanks for sharing this romantic story. I feel inspired. I did buy my honey a box of chocolates and wrote him a card even though he is the least romantic man in the world. I figure we all learn by example, right? Hopefully your man will too! ㅋㅋㅋ

I hope all of your romantic effort and hard work come back a hundredfold someday, but even if it doesn't, it does seem like you had a wonderful time pulling this off.

Amy Teacher said...

Ahhh Jenn!

I love it! Wow, you're one kick-ass girlfriend! That's an amazing Valentine's Day you created for your man. He'd be a fool to not give you a 120% of his love in return.

Wow... that's all I can say. You're awesome. Thanks for sharing your story with us on the net. It's so sweet to see that romance is still alive and well. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see what you get in return on White Day next month. I hope he is as creative as you.

Sarah said...

Oh Jen u never stop amazing me....Im talkin bout chuckin up tha duece....that makes me more proud than 1000 hand knit hersey kisses, LOL....now all we gotta do is teach ur man how its done....much love Jen...much LOVE!!!!!