Thursday, February 15, 2007

VALENTINE'S DAY.......

I got lots of goodies from my students on V-Day, but these home-made chocolates in this neat little box were my favourite.........


KOREAN THOUGHT OF THE DAY = Valentine's Day in Korea is a celebration that is practiced somewhat differently compared to other cultures. The first difference being that February 14th is instigated heavily by females rather than males. This is because Korean females are the ones who are more likely to give gifts to men than the other way around. In fact, it is not uncommon for a woman to buy twenty to thirty boxes of chocolate for sharing around the workplace as well as to men she has standard contact with. Whether its two gifts of twenty, one thing is clear: The women's efforts during Valentine's Day are a clear indication of the importance of respect in and outside the workplace. However, the women's efforts do not always go unappreciated. One month after Valentine's Day, White Day occurs in Korea. This is a day in which the males whom received gifts have the option to repond with a gift to the female, usually candy. Regardless of their response, this tradition continues, and is built upon the respect of obligation and the gift of giving. -- taken from GROOVE a local Korean magazine

2 comments:

Beloved said...

Hey Jen,
I read your very frantic plea on my site. First, relax. Think calming thoughts--LOL!

It sounds trite but just be yourself and you can't go wrong. The things I learned when visiting my husband's relatives are that it's not appropriate to:
--lie on the floor when elders are in the room (sounds easy but if you're staying overnight it could come up)
--don't smoke in front of elders (probably no worries for you there!)
--don't go around with bare feet (wear socks or slippers)

Can't think of anymore right now. Okay, so I'm sure those things are the least of your worries.

The biggest thing to think about is what does this visit mean? Some people say when a Korean guy brings you to meet his parent(s), that means he's serious about you and we all know what that means (dum, dum, da, dum). You might want to have a conversation about that before you go.

As for how his family will react to you, I'm sure they will love you; no doubt you'll charm the socks off of them. When I did first meet my husband's mom and brothers and sisters, they thought I was just a friend. His mom didn't believe our relationship was serious and was sure that I would sooner or later be leaving him to go back to the U.S. That was actually a lucky thing because she had a chance to ease into the idea of a foreign daughter-in-law little by little. We love each other now! :)

Good luck; it's going to be fine! Feel free to email me if you want to "chat" some more about this. You can find my address on my blog.

Take care and have a happy New Year!
새해복만히바드세요!

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE RAPID RESPONSE......

I panic last night when I found out that finally I would meet his family. The thing is I have been dating him for 8 months now and it is quite clear that we are more than just friends.....

.....before I went back to Canada I made a picture scrapbook of us.....I wrote it in English and one of my Korean friends was kind enough to translate it for me. Sung Hyun told me the other day his mom was cleaning up his room and stumbled across this book......and yup, she read it. So it looks like she knows a lot more about me (and him) then I ever wanted her to.

.....Also he comes from a family of 5 sisters and a mom (no dad).....that would make him the ONLY son....now we both know what that means for me!!!!!!

Anyways, I just really want them to like me and think 'wow this girl is great', Only this is, I am definately not a quiet conservative Korean girl.

So......hummmm, I guess I will try to be as girly as I can and speak as much Korean as possible....ㅋㅋㅋ

If you think of anything else that I should know, please let me know.

Thanks,

JENNIFER

ps, I will be sure to tell you how it is.......if I survive!!