Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fattie Files!!!! and life

And just when I promise that the fattie files project will continue it takes a nose dive. Seems like that's a re-occurring pattern in my life. Make a plan = plan fail! For instance, last year I planned to return to Canada this summer. Well as you all know that certainly didn't happen. So I kept taking pictures of what I was eating even though I wasn't posting in the hopes that I would only fall a few days behind. Well you know how life goes; a few days turn into a few too many and then it's too late to rewind and go back. So that's where I am right now.

Life has been happening. I've been in a funk the past week. After my wonderful Chuseok vacation with my Korean family I hit the wall. Maybe I can attribute it to the fact that I stopped taking birth-control. I cleaned my apartment during summer vacation and stashed away my Canadian supply. When if came time to take a new pack I completely forgot where I stored them. I looked for them but to no avail so I just decided 'what the hell, I'll just stop taking them'. I only had a 4 months supply left so I was going to run out of them before I returned to Canada anyways. Well it's been wreaking havoc on my body and my hormones. I have been taking this same prescription of birth-control since I was 16. I never missed a pack, I never missed and pill, I was that good! So I didn't get my period this month for whatever reason (help here! and don't get your hopes up b/c I'm not pregnant). The school nurse told me I would never be able to get pregnant b/c I took the pill for so long. This notion is probably based upon misinformation and lack of knowledge (I certainly hope so. Again, help here).

Okay now I'm going to eat a pizza because that seems to be all I'm good at in life right now!

10 comments:

wevegotseoul said...

I was on the same pill for over 10 years and then decided to stop. Yes, you'll be all over the place for possibly up to a few months -- I hated it and was very tempted to go back on it but stuck it out and am so glad that I did. I had no idea how much the pill and the hormones was effecting my daily life. After it had cleared my system I actually felt in control of my emotions and could think clearly.

As per the getting knocked up aspect you'll have no problems. A friend of mine that had been on the pill for 15 years just had her first baby; it took her about 6 months after she stopped, so you'll just need to be patient.

My main point is, struggle through the ups and downs right now because the emotional/hormonal freedom is amazing afterwards!

Why am I here??? said...

Sweet thanks for the info~!

Amanda said...

You can always get the pill over the counter in Korea. I never did because I loved my brand too much. Changed when I came back to the States and HATED IT.

Are you ever going back to Canada?

Anonymous said...

wevegotseoul wrote exactly what I would have written. Same thing happened to me when I stopped but everything righted itself and little things like being able to wear my contacts for longer were some of the ups of going off the pill. I haven't been back since, although sometimes I am tempted. As for the pregnancy, a friend of mine was on for ten years, she went off and had a baby less than a year later. So don't listen to the school nurse (who I am imagining is Korean) because there is a ton of misinformation on the pill in Korea.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, good for spreading misinformation. What kind of nurse is that?! You'll have no problems if you want to have a baby. It may take a few months, but eventually the hormones will clear from your system and things will be fine.

ambearo said...

I was just going to echo what wevegotseoul said. Don't worry- it's misinformation about the pregnancy thing. That doesn't even make logical sense! All the pill does is regulate your body with the same hormones it already naturally creates. How could that cause infertility? Your period will work itself out.

(BTW- my name is Amber. Pleased to meet you! ^^)

Foreigner Joy said...

I get my birth control here in Korea. So maybe you can too if you want to get back on it.

Diana E. said...

Are you trying to get pregnant? 'Cause if you don't want to, the pill in Korea is very easily available and cheap. It's 피임약 (pee-im-yak). You can look up on Wikipedia which brand matches the meds you were on rather easily.

And feel better.

Amanda said...

BTW, if a period is late NOT due to pregnancy, then drinking a strong parsley or ginger tea (make your own at home) will bring it about. You should have easy access to ginger.

Shells Bells said...

I had the same thing took it forever and then stopped in Seoul for almost the same reason - took my body almost 10 months to get back to normal. You can get bc at any pharmacy though they have most brands.