Wednesday, October 28, 2009

SETTING GOALS!!!

I've been watching a lot of YOUTUBE videos on weight loss and saving money. And I've noticed a common theme: if you want to achieve something you have to set small realistic goals (duh, I knew that). These goals must be measurable and have a time limit. You can't just say 'I want to loose weight' or 'I want to save money'. Also another important step when setting your goals is to WRITE THEM DOWN and rehearse them. It reminds me of a book (Think and Grow Rich) my dad slipped into my bag when I first journeyed to Korea. In the front cover he wrote, 'FIND THE SECRET, LOVE DAD'. It wasn't until I read it the second time that I found the secret.

I've been thinking about why I'm not able to achieve some of my goals as of late and I came to the realization that it's because I'm not setting realistic tangible goals. And I'm not writing them down and I'm not giving myself a deadline.

So that brings me to the purpose of this post. What better way to measure my success then to document it right here on my personal blog. And in turn, perhaps inspire a few of you to do the same.

The first goal I want to achieve is FINANCIAL.

* I would like to save 15 000 Canadian dollars by the end of February (about 16.6 million Korean Won given the current exchange rate).

Although this may seem far out of reach, I think it is feasible given that:

a) I've already paid for my winter vacation ticket and set aside all my spending money for my trip.
b) At the end of my contract (which marks the end of my job) in February I will be getting double pay plus about $700 for my air fare reimbursement
c) I've already got a start of $2200 Canadian (2.5 million Korean Won) in my bank now
d) I don't pay rent
e) My biggest expense is food. For the most part I don't buy beauty products, cosmetics or clothes in Korea

So now that I've written it down, it's time to set this plan into action. I've even got a cute little budget book* to help me along the way.

This is going to be an interesting next few months. I will be sure to keep everyone updated and I challenge you to set your own goals and then leave a comment on this post so I can encourage you along the way!

* cute little budget book!



HAPPY SAVING EVERYONE!!!!! (or weight losing or exercising or whatever goal you so desire)

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Good luck! You can do it!

Amanda said...

Lose. You lose weight. (Sorry, that drives me crazy.)

Are you ever going back to Canada? Are you going back for Christmas?

asiangarden said...

Inspire me!!! I need it!

Annie-Me said...

soo you are going to put me on an allowance and make me save money too right ;)