Saturday, October 15, 2011

What I've learned...

What I've learned about being busy:

1. Eating healthy falls by the way side when I'm busy. I stop caring about preparing healthy meals and take comfort in familiarity -- fast and unfortunately fatty food.

2. Being busy is good. It keeps me motivated and enthusiastic. Being too busy is bad. There is a fine line between the two and I'm working to achieve some balance.

3. Exercise is still important to do no matter what your life schedule is like. I try to make it to the gym 2 times a week. I'm satisfied if I go once.

4. Quitting my job at Regina Open Door was bitter sweet. I'm glad to have some free evenings (which are already filled up) but sad to leave my students.

5. My husband and I have actually been "communicating" which has been made possible with shifting our schedules so they are more in sync with one another.

6. Grad studies.......fun, challenging, but f'ing hard! Perfectionism is my worst enemy. But I've learned I LOVE writing.....academia, journalling, you name it!

7. I am not looking forward to Monday. Here's what my day will look like:

8:30 - 4:20 --> teach at the university (no lunch break)
4:30 - 5:30 --> work meeting
5:45 - 6:30 --> grad studies project meeting
6:30 - 9:30 --> grad class
10:00 - 12:00 --> homework!!!!

8. Next semester will be different. I don't plan to work (more than full-time) and study. It's too much.

9. Now that Sung Hyun has a good job, I can step back from this insane amount of work. I'm finding it hard to let go.

10. Yesterday my former instructor, now friend, made a good point: "your job won't care about you when you're 65, your family will!"


4 comments:

Becky said...

Hey Jennifer! I just saw this in the Korea Herald:

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20111013000526

I hope he was your guy and I hope he gets what he deserves.

Jennifer said...

trying to eat healthy has been difficult. but i've done something to make my routine easier.
my only real free day is sundays (which is filled with sports watching! haha).
so i will try and grocery shop that day. and pre make lunch to cover me for my monday-wed. including cutting up veggies and putting them in containers so first thing in the morning. all i have to do is grab the container and go. the other thing that is good with my job is we have a fridge. so will just buy healthy groceries and keep them at work. so no thinking involved.

good luck!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

You don't have to completely abandon healthy eating. And forget cooking. Look for frozen/prepared foods you can buy on the go that are somewhat healthy (or at least better than fast food!). Stock up on healthy snacks.
And if you have a favorite comfort food (like chips, for example), buy the healthiest version of that you can find (soy chips or baked chips). It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. If you don't have the energy to do big things, focus on small things. For example, if you tend to eat junk food for lunch and dinner, at least make sure you have healthy snacks available. Again, not the ideal solution, but better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you're not doing your weight posts anymore. I liked them because they were real, with ups and downs. I'm trying to lose weight myself and seeing somebody be so honest and open about her struggles was really helping me. I miss the posts.