Thursday, March 29, 2012

It's about choices

Sung Hyun is ticked that I'm not helping around the house. He's cooked and cleaned (including doing laundry) for the past couple of weeks. I understand his frustration. We are working on balancing out the responsibilities of owning a home. As you know, I'm NOT good at balance.

I feel like I'm in final exam mode with school. I've got one 20-page paper due on Monday and then I'm done grad classes for another 3 weeks. "Hold out till Monday and I promise to pick up the slack", I told Sung Hyun. Last week I was preparing for a research presentation.

Monday can't come soon enough for Sung Hyun.

I'm slowly realizing how much I like having balance in my life. I'm an all-or-nothing gal at heart. If I can't give it my 100% attention then I might as not give it any attention. School is probably the ONLY thing that I commit to 100% of the time.

But now I'm starting to realize (yah, I know I'm slow) that adult things need to get done even if I'm devoting 100% of my attention to school (or work). Bills need to be paid, students need to be attended to, and my carpet really needs to be vacuumed. I also NEED to go on a date with my lover!

Procrastination and Perfectionism are my two worst enemies right now. I'll call them the 2 P's. I'm slowly learning that A) perfectionism doesn't exist and B) procrastination is hurting more than helping.

I have a 20 page paper due on Monday. I started it last Sunday. I have worked on it everyday since then. I'm done 10 pages. This is probably a new record for me; usually it's the weekend before that I buckle down and pull an all-niter.

To tackle these 2 P's I have to make a conscious effort to make a choice. I have the power. I can decide. Like instead of spending 10 minutes on Facebook, I can be doing the dishes. These little moments here and there, even if they are only 10 minutes, add up to something big at the end of the day, or week.

So here is to small, little choices making a big difference!

I'm starting TODAY ;)

4 comments:

Jacky said...

Good luck! Dates are so important in a long-term relationship. I try to make sure I keep up with them with my boyfriend. Hopefully you finish your big paper early! Then you can have down time to relax with your lover. ;-)

Why am I here??? said...

Yes dates are fun!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Balance is hard, but definitely necessary!

Annie-Me said...

I agree with SH. I'd be ticked if you weren't helping out around the house. I too balance life, work and school but it is important to make the time for those other things. its important to work on things together in order to make things work. You've been really lucky in life that also all the time you have been in school you've had someone to look after and clean up for you. Case in point, spreading your school work all over your mom's kitchen because you needed to be around people to work. Sometimes what is a great arrangement for one person is a headache and a frustration for the other person. I'm glad that SH is a big help around the house and that you recognize that you need to help out....but turn that realization into action hun !!!!

Sorry I was so straightforward. I just woke up...